Wednesday, September 15, 2010

DLT, SLT, CLT

I thought it was really interesting to see how we were learning about CLT by actually using it ourselves. This made it MUCH easier for me to understand and look back and give a name to each step we actually took. In teaching, since everything we do should ideally have a purpose, it's interesting to think that every part of teaching should connect to one of the learning theories. So in order to keep myself in check and make sure my teaching is informed by the theories, I would have to evaluate myself and ask questions about what I'm doing. I'd have to ask myself, is there is social interaction between students or between students and myself? This would be one of the best ways to identify SLT because it is all based on social interaction. Social interaction includes from student to student as well as between the teacher and the student, it would also have to include a more knowledgeable peer. To see if I'm using DLT I'd want to question if I'm teaching abstractly or concretely and how I'm going back and forth and utilizing the spectrum to reach my students. For CLT I'd want to see how much of their past knowledge is being used and incorporated. I'd also have to question if schema is being used as well as how the students are making the new information fit into their previous knowledge. Are they using assimilation or accommodation? Obviously there are many more questions that can be asked once there is a specific lesson/topic. But I feel these are good starting points to see if you're on the right track to incorporating multiple learning theories into teaching!

1 comment:

  1. I agree having to use the theories in class really makes it easier to understand. I believe that as teachers we have to constantly evaluate not only our students, but ourselves as well to ensure we are able to keep all the children in pour class engaged and learning.

    ReplyDelete